Interview with Wesley So after his Corus Wijk Aan Zee Chess Tournament Win


We managed to request and get to interview Wesley So of the Philippines on Facebook via chat. Here are some interesting responses from him.

imchess.com: Congrats for the amazing performance at Corus Chess. Thanks for giving us your time. The Chess world wants to know more about you.
Wesley So: Thank you and thanks for following my games.

imchess.com: Your performance was really strong. Which was the toughest game?
Wesley So: The toughest game was the opening one against Nijboer.

imchess.com: And the most satisfying?
Wesley So: The win against Tiger Hillarp Persson of course! Because it guaranteed me the tournament win.

Wesley So's famous win against Tiger Persson with the black pieces.


imchess.com: Yes, Tiger was hot on your heels. Any disappointments?
Wesley So: Too bad that I lost to Holzke. That was hard. After I lost that game, I did not think I would win the tournament. Maybe I relaxed since I was in the lead.

imchess: Right, that was tough I guess. Otherwise, it was a clean performance. What was the feeling like, playing in the same tournament as the biggies such as Carlsen, Aronian, Morozevich, Ivanchuk, and the others?
Wesley So: It's a pleasure to play alongside, in the same tournament as them. I was very happy to see them play and I felt really honored.

imchess: Was there anything in particular you observed about the Elite Chess players?
Wesley So: Well, I saw that they were generally more focused. I plan to emulate them in that aspect.

imchess: What do you think you need to improve upon to compete against them?
Wesley So: There are lots of areas to improve, but I think I will concentrate mainly on opening preparation.

imchess: What is your training schedule usually like?
Wesley So: I usually train for five hours every day. I learn from books on Openings and also work on my Computer.

imchess: How do you manage to balance Chess and School?
Wesley So: Well, I train and attend school as much as possible and during tournaments, I take leave from the School.


So and his Chess friends Darwin Laylo, Cesar Caturla, Idel Datu, and John Paul

imchess: Did you get a chance to talk to the top players? Any advice from them?
Wesley So: I didn’t get a chance to talk to the top players, but I did get some useful advice from some other GMs about the attitude one should have towards Chess in general.

imchess: Hope you get to meet other top players for more specific advice. Anand has some Chess roots in The Philippines.
Wesley So: Yes, I hope so too. By the way, Aronian has a connection too. His girlfriend, WIM Arianne Caoili is from this region.

imchess: True, you can probably directly call him I guess; he is known to be a really cool guy. Hope you get that opportunity.
Wesley So: Yes, he is a really nice guy. We shared dinner once at the same table at Corus.

imchess: So, what are your goals right now?
Wesley So: I want to reach 2700 as soon as possible.


Wesley So playing another prodigy, Alejandro Ramirez

imchess: What is next on your Chess calendar for this year? You are really in demand with your performance at Corus!
Wesley So: I got some invitations from organizers. I am playing the Aeroflot open starting 16th this month and then the Spice Cup being conducted by Susan Polgar, and probably the Rising Stars vs Experience. Unfortunately, I could not participate in the Reykjavik open since it clashes with the National Championship of The Philippines.

imchess: Interesting. Susan mentions you a lot on her site.
Wesley So: Yes, she is kind. The Spice cup will probably be a strong Category 16 or 17 tournament, so it will be good for me. I’m grateful to her for inviting me.


So being interviewed by Susan

imchess: Who else is participating in the Spice Cup?
Wesley So: I am not yet sure about the full list of participants. The invitations and preparations are still on.

imchess: Thanks a lot for your time and we wish you all the best for your future.
Wesley So: Thank you very much for everything.

M Jagadish
Editor

Comments

Anonymous said…
This kid just turned 15, breached 2600 six months ago, and is now at 2647 live rating. He should be at 2700 before he's 17. This incredible pace only means that he will be a world title contender before 20. The best thing, though, is that he plays fighting, imaginative chess and has a media-friendly personality. Hope those big tournaments give him all the opportunities that they've given Carlsen.
Menas Jagadish said…
Yes, its amazing how he rose the last couple of years. I agree with you, his games are amazingly clean and strong. Awesome, considering his age!

Popular posts from this blog

Topalov hot on Carlsen's heels

GM Alexander Grischuk the Rockstar Chess Player